How to Register for TOEFL?
The first step to taking the TOEFL is registering for the test. There are two types of TOEFL: The Paper Based Test (PBT) and the Internet Based Test (iBT). Depending on your location, you can take either of the two types. Normally, each testing center only offers one of the two types, not both. The TOEFL is not free, sadly. There is a registration fee for the TOEFL iBT and PBT with some optional additional fees.
The Paper Based Test
In the old time, all of the TOEFL tests are conducted on papers. However, it is not the case anymore. There are only several places around the world that still offer Paper Based TOEFL tests because of their unavailability for internet access. And often, the TOEFL test is offered once a month.
It may be different from test center to test center. If you are living in one of these countries, you may still be able to take a Paper-Based Test.
"Afghanistan, American Samoa, Aruba, Barbados, Belize, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Fiji, the Gaza Strip, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, the Maldives, the Marshall Islands, Martinique, Micronesia, Myanmar, Namibia, the Netherlands Antilles, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Samoa, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tanzania, Tongo, Tonga, Turkmenistan, and Zimbabwe."
The Internet Based Test
This type of test is the 'new' form of TOEFL. If you are not in one of those countries above, it is highly likely that you can only take the iBT Test. The good thing is that there are many more options for test dates for the iBT, and each testing center offers a different schedule. All the tests will take place during the weekends. So if you don't live near the testing center, you will have time to commute.
TOEFL Test Registration Fees
The TOEFL registration fee varies from country to country, and sometimes even between test center to test center within a country. You have to fully pay the registration fee when you register for the test, which is way before the actual test day. The registration fee is anywhere in the range between $160 to $250, depending on your testing center location. For example:
- Most of US States: $190
- Vietnam: $170
- Germany: $245
- China is one of the very few exceptions with a registration fee of RMB 1761, which is about $264.
Besides the registration fees, there are other optional fees if you choose to include any additional services the ETS has to offer.
- Late Registration Fee $40. You can only register for the test until a certain deadline before the test date. If you register after that period, you'll have to pay the extra late fee.te fee.
- Rescheduling Fee $60
- For every institution, you would like ETS to send an official score record to $19/institution.
- You can pay an additional $80 to $160 if you want your Speaking and Writing score reviewed.
How to Register?
You can register for the test online, by telephone, snail mail, or in person at the test center. As said above, you will need to pay the registration fee in full when you register so make sure you have enough money with you while registering. If not, your registration won't go through until it is fully paid. If you do not register in person, then you need to have other forms of payments or electronic payments, you need to have a credit card or PayPal account, or know how to issue either an electronic check or paper check. Remember, there are technically deadlines for the different registering method before the test dates. If you are late to these deadlines, you can still take the test but have to pay extra for a late fee.
- By Snail Mail: all the forms need to be received at least 4 weeks before test date. So you need to mail all the forms in even before the 4 weeks deadline
- By phone or In-Person: the latest you can register for a test by phone or in person is 1 week before the test date.
- Online: online registration closes 7 days before the test date. After the 7 day deadline, you can still pay an extra late fee to register online if you still have 3 days before the test date. If you don't have 3 days, you have to call the testing center anytime before 5pm or closing office hour the business day before the test date.