IELTS Test V1 reading
Read the text below and answer questions 1 - 14
Read the text below and answer questions 15 - 27
Read the text below and answer questions 28 - 40
Six Springs Ski Resort Information / Hartwood College Handbook
Read the information below and answer questions 1-7.
SIX SPRINGS SKI RESORT INFORMATION
Are you interested in visiting Six Springs Ski Resort this Winter season?
Browse our options below and read up on all of our offers for the
upcoming months. Do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!
Read the information below and answer Questions 8-14.
HARTWOOD COLLEGE HANDBOOK
Welcome to Hartwood College. We are pleased to welcome you to
our campus facilities. Please utilize the following information to
better understand the services we offer on campus.
List of Services Office Location
2. TRUE. In the column, “From January 2021 to March 2021” the information states that the period is the “most popular time of year for visitors and tourists” Therefore, the statement would be considered TRUE.
3. FALSE. In the column, “From October 2020 to December 2020”, the information states that “Studio Apartments for couples or solo travelers…”. This would make the statement FALSE, since it includes both couples and solo travelers.
4. NOT GIVEN. Although the table contains information referring to months October 2020 - March 2021, this does not necessarily mean that the resort is not open from April 2021 - September 2021. Additionally, the statement “Browse our options below and read up on all of our offers for the upcoming months.” infers that the table shows only the deals for the upcoming months, and nothing more.
5. TRUE. The statement, “...our log cabins are available up until December 24th.” shows that it would be impossible for guests to rent a log cabin after December 24th. They key phrase, “up until”, proves this to be TRUE.
6. FALSE. The statement, “For the first time ever, our resort is proud to offer this sophisticated activities package for our guests.” would lead one to infer that these services were not offered in previous years. Thus, it is impossible that the activities were popular in previous years.
7. NOT GIVEN. Although the last column contains the statement, “Catering specifically to guests who seek relaxation rather than adventurous sports, our properties along the water offer just the right amount of seclusion and a touch of elegance.”, this does not state that those who partake in skiing cannot stay there. This information is not necessarily included. Instead, the statement infers that the property caters to (or is meant for) those who enjoy relaxing. Nothing contradicts the information in the question statement, which would make this answer NOT GIVEN.
14. A - The description for Campus Security states that “officers” are ready to assist for problems involving “problems with dormitories”. Since “dormitories” is another way to say “room” in the university setting, students would go to this office for stolen possessions from their rooms.
Maxwell Enterprises Employee Handbook / Employee Sick Leave Policy
Read the text below and answer Questions 15-21.
Maxwell Enterprises Employee Handbook
Appendix A: Code of Conduct
This document serves as a benchmark for all staff of Maxwell Enterprises, including all members on the Board of Directors, interns, and visiting employees from different offices. If breach of conduct is suspected, resulting action will include a thorough investigation and potential disciplinary action. Unless otherwise noted, ‘the Company’ shall refer to Maxwell Enterprises.
Maxwell Enterprises is supportive and welcoming of employees from various backgrounds and identities. The Company does not discriminate based on age, gender, ethnicity, political associations, immigration status, or natural origin. All employees should seek to uphold this quality and maintain respectful working relationships with all members of staff.
It is strictly forbidden to supervise someone with whom you have a close personal relationship, including but not limited to: family members, relatives, a spouse or significant other. Additionally, employees and staff must not utilize their position(s) at Maxwell Enterprises in the hopes of advancing personal interests for themselves at the expense of the company. Lastly, employees are strictly forbidden to solicit employment opportunities from distributors, suppliers, and freelance clients of Maxwell Enterprises.
When signing the employment contract with Maxwell Enterprises, all employees agree to give up rights towards self-employment and/or to be employed for another company or organization (including charitable or non-profit organizations) aside from Maxwell Enterprises. This limitation also applies to employment through the Company’s subsidiaries and affiliates.
Staff and employees must not disclose any classified or exclusive information regarding current working clients without prior notice or authorization. It must be noted that this disclosure is also prohibited between different departments of the Company. Departments that have access to specific client information must uphold adequate safeguards in order to prevent misuse of protocol. Unauthorized disclosure of aforementioned personal data will result in a breach of any applicable legislation on privacy.
The Company is wholly committed to providing a safe, environmentally ethical, and illness-free workplace for all employees and staff. This includes the presence of an Emergency Services department in all offices and buildings of Maxwell Enterprises. As such, all working areas are in compliance with relevant safety laws and environmental regulations that aim to protect the safety of all workers.
If employees or staff of Maxwell Enterprises have been made aware of potential breaches to the Code of Conduct, it is imperative that they contact the Company Concern Line via phone or Web. All contact, including inquiries and allegations, are kept confidential in order not to bring upon negative consequences for those calling attention to potential breaches of this document. Any questions regarding the Concern Line should be made to one’s direct supervisor.
All employees and staff who engage in working relationships with clients must always use good judgment in business affairs and meetings. Any offer given by a client to an employee or staff member, in order to influence a business decision or deal, is to be strictly refuted. Additionally, it is strictly prohibited for employees and staff to ask clients for gifts, including meals or entertainment, and/or capitalize on working relationships. Any such aforementioned encounters would be considered as unethical bribes, resulting in disciplinary action.
Read the text below and answer Questions 22-27.
Employee Sick Leave Policy
This document exists to clarify and inform employees on their entitlement to sick leave, including short-term disability and all necessary procedures.
Scope and Elements
All company employees have a right to equitable paid time off during normal company working hours in order to recover from illnesses. This is otherwise known as Sick Leave. In order to qualify for this benefit, employees must have been contractually signed with the company for at least six months. With each year of service with the company, employees will receive a maximum of five days added onto the minimum four day benefit per year.
In terms of short-term disability leave, all employees, irrespective of their length of service to the company, are entitled to receive up to 80 percent of their salary payment for the first two months of short-term disability. After this period, employees will receive a maximum of 40 percent of their salary payment for the remainder of the short-term disability leave.
It should be noted that interns, freelance workers, and seasonal employees are not entitled to paid time off due to illness, nor are they entitled to payments associated with short-term disability leave.
Procedures and Processing
All employees are required to provide prompt notification to their direct managers in the case of illness or inability to be present at work due to injury or sickness, either through email or an automated Human Resources Information System (HRIS). Consequently, a signed, written certification from a medical professional must be presented to the employee’s direct manager within three days in order for the aforementioned Sick Leave Policy to be effective. If such certification is not presented, the employee must use Paid Time Off for the days not present at work. All sick time requests will be handled with discretion and kept confidential.
Unused Sick Leave Policy
As stated previously, employees will accrue a maximum of five Sick Leave days for each year of service with the company. As such, employees can accumulate unused sick leave days until they have a maximum of 20 Sick Leave days, which may be calculated for an employee’s annuity when he or she retires.
17. x - Section C describes the rights of employees with Maxwell Enterprises. The section states that ‘all employees agree to give up rights towards self-employment and/or to be employed for another company or organization…’. As such, this description would best fit the heading, Employment Outside Maxwell Enterprises.
18. vi - Section D contains information regarding interactions with clients, most notably in terms of confidentiality. The statement, ‘Staff and employees must not disclose any classified or exclusive information regarding current working clients without prior notice or authorization’. This makes it clear that the section regards Client Confidentiality. This should not be confused with heading viii. (Employee Privacy), because the section does not describe this in detail.
19. ii - Section E describes how Maxwell Enterprises adheres to a safe working environment. The statement, ‘...safe, environmentally ethical, and illness-free workplace for all employees and staff’ makes this apparent. Therefore, the best option would be Safety and Health Practices.
20. vii - Section F contains information regarding potential violations (or breaches) to the Code of Conduct. The section provides instructions on how to report this activity, making Violation Reporting Services the best option.
21. v - Section G describes how employees of Maxwell Enterprises must act with clients. The section goes on to describe violations to this rule, including how it is strictly prohibited for employees to ‘ask clients for gifts, including meals or entertainment, and/or capitalize on working relationships’. Thus, the best option would be Anti-Corruption Ethics.
23. short-term disability - The passage states that ‘... irrespective of their length of service to the company, are entitled to receive up to 80 percent of their salary payment for the first two months of short-term disability.’
24. written certification / signed written certification / signed certification / certification - The passage states that ‘a signed, written certification from a medical professional must be presented to the employee’s direct manager within three days in order for the aforementioned Sick Leave Policy to be effective’.
25. Paid Time Off / paid time off - The passage states that ‘If such certification is not presented, the employee must use Paid Time Off for the days not present at work.’
Futures in Psychology
Psychologists have a wide variety of choices when it comes to long-term careers. In general, anyone wishing to continue a career in psychology at a 4-year institution of higher education must earn a doctoral degree in psychology. In most areas of psychology, this translates into earning a PhD in a relevant area of psychology, such as family counseling or trauma. Depending on the amount of training received, or the desired speciality of a candidate, an individual could be anything from a biological psychologist to a clinical psychologist in an academic setting.
The term, ‘PhD’ refers to a doctor of philosophy degree, but ‘philosophy’ is a broad term. In this case, ‘philosophy’ refers to diverse disciplinary perspectives that would be grouped together in a traditional college of liberal arts and sciences.
Although the requirements to earn a PhD vary depending on the country, individuals obtaining this degree can expect to complete a dissertation, which is a thorough research paper describing experiments or studies done as part of the doctoral training of a candidate. In order for the degree to be conferred, a dissertation usually must be defended before a committee of expert reviewers. However, this requirement varies depending on the country.
Once someone earns a PhD, the individual can begin seeking out a faculty appointment at a college or university. This usually involves multi-tasking duties and splitting time between teaching, research, and service to the institution and profession. This is one reason why professors relocate to different institutions in a short amount of time; they must find the best personal fit among the various academic environments that are available to them.
Often times, schools offer more courses in psychology than their full-time faculty can handle. In these cases, it is not uncommon to find adjunct faculty members or instructors who take on teaching various courses. Although adjunct faculty members have the necessary training to teach in the university setting, they often hold primary careers outside of the academic setting and utilize their teaching experiences as secondary careers. Although rare, these faculty members may not hold the doctoral degree required by most accredited 4-year institutions and use these opportunities to gain useful experience in teaching. As many 2-year colleges are coming into fruition, many of them are in need of faculty to teach their psychology courses. In general, many of the people who pursue careers at these institutions hold at least one Master Degree in psychology, although some PhDs choose to develop careers at these institutions as well.
Recent PhD graduates may also choose to start an independent career, establishing an office and offering therapy sessions to the public. Usually, these individuals completed job shadowing or internships with an experienced psychologist during their academic career, efficiently preparing them for best practices when choosing to work in this setting.
It is not uncommon for individuals who have just earned their PhD to enroll in postdoctoral training programs. These programs assist candidates in obtaining experience before going on to serve as faculty at the given institution. Those interested in scientific psychology will usually complete a few postdoctoral programs, allowing them to develop research programs and broaden their research skills under the helpful supervision of other professors in the psychology field.
32. C - The statement, ‘This usually involves multi-tasking duties and splitting time between teaching, research, and service to the institution and profession.’ proves that candidates who apply for work as full-time faculty at the university level can expect to be involved in various responsibilities and activities.
33. D - The passage states that ‘professors relocate to different institutions in a short amount of time; they must find the best personal fit among the various academic environments that are available to them.’ Therefore, it is correct that those who hold a PhD and teach in higher education could move to different institutions with opportunities.
36. C - When discussing PhD candidates who choose to follow a self-governing career path, the passage states that ‘Usually, these individuals completed job shadowing or internships with an experienced psychologist during their academic career, efficiently preparing them for best practices when choosing to work in this setting.’ Thus, the correct answer is that these individuals most likely completed on-the-job training with a professional.
IELTS Practice Test 1
Time 1 hour
Official Instructions to candidates
- Do not open this question paper until you are told to do so.
- Write your name and candidate number in the spaces at the top of this page.
- Read the instructions for each part of the paper carefully.
- Answer all the questions.
- Write your answers on the answer sheet. Use a pencil.
- You must complete the answer sheet within the time limit.
- At the end of the test, hand in both this question paper and your answer sheet.
Information for candidates
- There are 40 questions.
- Each question carries one mark.
- YOU MUST FILL IN YOUR ANSWER SHEET!
- To view the answer sheet, click VIEW ANSWER SHEET at the bottom of the paper.
Instruction Source: British Council Reading PDF
Look at the following statements.
Match each statement with the correct location, A - G.
Where should you go if
|8 there is a problem with your personal computer||done|
|9 you want to update your meal plan subscription||done|
|10 there is a problem with the plumbing in your room||done|
|11 you want to participate in more campus groups||done|
|12 you are experiencing depression||done|
|13 the elevator in your building has stopped working||done|
|14 something has been stolen from your room||done|
Choose NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS AND/OR A NUMBER from the text for each answer.
Scope and Elements:
Each and every employee has a right to Sick Leave after of service with the company.
Independent of their time with the company, employees have a right to , during which they receive a portion of their salaries.
Only employees who are contractually and officially signed with the company are eligible for these benefits.
Procedures and Processing:
Managers must be notified when employees are ill, and a must be submitted for the Sick Leave Policy to apply.
will be applied if the required document is not presented.
Requests of this nature will be kept .
Unused Sick Leave Policy:
An employee can accrue a maximum of 20 Sick Leave days.
Unused Sick Leave days can be taken into effect with an employee .
28. Psychologists who hold a PhD
29. The term ‘philosophy’
30. When earning a PhD, a dissertation is
31. The requirements for completing a PhD
32. Candidates who apply for work as full-time faculty at the university level
33. Those who hold a PhD and teach in higher education
34. Adjunct faculty members are usually hired
35. The increase of 2-year colleges
36. Individuals who choose to follow a self-governing career path
Choose NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS from the text for each answer.
programs are popular for candidates who want more experience before committing as a professor higher education.Additionally, these programs are perfect for candidates who are keen on . A candidate in this type of program can expect to expand his or her .As an extra assistance, individuals in these programs usually by professors in the field when crafting independent research programs.
Your Reading test has finished.
Your answers have been stored.
Click FINISH TEST to continue.