Words that start with gFilter by Letter keyboard_arrow_down
A galaxy is a group of many stars. Our sun is a star. The galaxy that we live in is known as milky way. It contains 300 billion stars.
Definition: Convert (a solid or liquid, especially coal) into gas:
- The plans, which will be carried out over a 20 year horizon, will include energy recovery techniques such as incineration and gasification
Definition: to collect
- She carefully gathered her thoughts just before the interview.
- Gather up food as much as you can, whether it is canned goods or grab some bread to put in the freezer for a rainy day.
Definition: Of or relating to genes or heredity
- Nowadays we are more likely to think of them as genes or the genetic inheritance.
Definition: A category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter.
- Women also bring to poetry or other genres of literature a whole new area of experience and vision.
- The inner ear's structure and contents is thought to permit the shark to determine and distinguish sounds and the geomagnetic fields of the earth's magma.
Definition: Relating to or produced by the internal heat of the earth
- Some 70 per cent of Iceland’s energy needs are met from geothermal sources. These rocks were later affected by low-grade metamorphism under high geothermal gradients
Definition: A hot spring in which water intermittently boils, sending a tall column of water and steam into the air.
- A geyser of lava spouted between them and Seth attacked, charging through the lava like it was water, an unstoppable locomotive of power.
give weight to keyboard_arrow_downkeyboard_arrow_up
/give weight to/ [no ipa available]
The verb “give weight to” means to attach importance to something. “I need to give weight to this decision before I make it.” This means that the decision is very important, thus one should think extra hard before coming to a conclusion. If you give weight to you job, you understand that it is important.
Definition: A slowly moving mass or river of ice formed by the accumulation and compaction of snow on mountains or near the poles.
- A glacier forms where the accumulation of snow exceeds its ablation (melting and sublimation) over many years, often centuries. Glaciers slowly deform and flow due to stresses induced by their weight, creating crevasses, seracs, and other distinguishing features. They also abrade rock and debris from their substrate to create landforms such as cirques and moraines. Glaciers form only on land and are distinct from the much thinner sea ice and lake ice that form on the surface of bodies of water.
Definition: Develop or be developed so as to make possible international influence or operation:
- The moment the debate was publicized on the Internet, it was globalized.
Definition: slowly, but surely
- Nasa once adopted the mantra ‘follow the water’, which is now gradually changing into ‘seek signs of life’.
Definition: giving pleasure or a feeling of accomplishment; showing thanks
- The milestone is especially gratifying to the director, an early adopter of digital photography and an advocate of the Internet’s power to transform museums.
- It’s been incredibly gratifying to take this dream and make it a reality.
Definition: The force that attracts a body towards the centre of the earth, or towards any other physical body having mass
- Objects exert a force of gravity because they have mass and the more mass they have the stronger the force of gravity they exert. Physics has found only four forces in nature: gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear, and strong nuclear.
Definition: (Of an animal, especially a dog) make a low guttural sound of hostility in the throat
- The dog growls at the bottom of the tree, trying to claw his way up.
Definition: Relating to or having the characteristics of a gas
- gaseous emissions from motor vehicles.
Definition: Convert (a solid or liquid, especially coal) into gas
- Coal, too, could be made carbon-free, using advanced power plants that gasify the fuel and then generate power while stripping away the carbon for sequestration underground.
Definition: A general statement or concept obtained by inference from specific cases:
- It just amazed him how people form such absurd generalizations out of specific instances.
Definition: by genetic mechanisms; "genetically passed down talents
- Cloning is the process of making a genetically identical organism through nonsexual means
Definition: Adjective (geology)
- There is no stratigraphic or other geological evidence here for a break between the two volcanic episodes
/geo-sta-tion-ary/ [no ipa available]
Definition: (Of an artificial satellite of the earth) moving in a circular geosynchronous orbit in the plane of the equator, so that it appears to be stationary in the sky above a fixed point on the surface.
- Three special satellites located in geostationary orbit above Europe transmit a GPS-like signal that improves the GPS accuracy down to 1 to 2 metres.
get in on keyboard_arrow_downkeyboard_arrow_up
/get in on/ [no ipa available]
Definition: Become involved in (a profitable or exciting activity)
- Libraries have also been getting in on the act with book quizzes and other activities to help youngsters experience the magic of reading.
Gigantic is an adjective used to describe something that's really big, as though it were made for a giant. You might call a skyscraper a gigantic building, especially if it towers over other buildings nearby.
- Gigantic (meaning huge, monstrous) waves were crashing on the beach.
- He made a gigantic (meaning huge) mistake when he quit his job.
- She owns a gigantic house.
- She has a gigantic appetite.
Definition: The process, condition, or result of being covered by glaciers or ice sheets.
- These hydrogeological conditions are controlled by relative land and sea level, erosion and deposition, the cold climate processes of permafrost and glaciation, and rock stress changes.
Definition: The process by which businesses or other organizations develop international influence or start operating on an international scale
- Globalization is an inevitable phenomenon in human history that's been bringing the world closer through the exchange of goods and products.
Definition: denoting or referring to the most desirable or advantageous part of a range of values or conditions
- Within our solar system, Earth is the only Goldilocks planet – not too hot and not too cold for water to exist.
- Normally, Wall Street loves a so-called Goldilocks report—one that shows the economy is neither too hot nor not too cold.
Definition: A grey crystalline allotropic form of carbon which occurs as a mineral in some rocks and can be made from coke. It is used as a solid lubricant, in pencils, and as a moderator in nuclear reactors
- One possibility of this sort of manipulation could turn carbon into either graphite or diamond.
Definition: related to gravitation
- In walking, kinetic energy is converted to gravitational potential energy and back again, as in a pendulum
Definition: Suffer grief
- she grieved for her father
/gyre/ [no ipa available]
Definition: A circular pattern of currents in an ocean basin:
- Zones of minimum upwelling and, therefore, productivity, occur in the central regions of the oceans known as the gyres.