lFilter by Letter keyboard_arrow_down
Definition: A continent or other large body of land.
- This stress was to lead to the break-up of the land mass, first appearing in the vicinity of the South Atlantic and the Indian Ocean
Definition: The active immature form of an insect, especially one that differs greatly from the adult and forms the stage between egg and pupa, e.g. a caterpillar or grub
- The life cycle of a butterfly includes four stages: egg, caterpillar or larva, pupa, and adult.
Definition: forever; without end
- The filmmakers want the movie to have a lasting, consciousness-raising effect, to make people continue to think about their own honesty.
- He left a lasting impression on the people who heard his inspirational speeches.
The position north or south of the equator measured from 0° to 90°.
The phrase "at these latitudes" is often used. For example:
- At these latitudes, the sun does not rise at all on winter days.
Definition: Hot molten or semifluid rock erupted from a volcano or fissure, or solid rock resulting from cooling of this.
- The tuffs and lava were derived from a nearby andesitic volcanic centre
If something is legitimate, that means it is according to the law. To legitimate something is to make it legal, either by passing a law or publicly recognizing it as in accordance with the law.
- They are laws because they are instructions given by a legitimate authority, not because they are backed up by force.
- He was four times married, and had a large number both of legitimate and illegitimate children.
- He claimed that the restaurant bill was a legitimate business expense.
- Most scientists believe it is legitimate to use animals in medical research.
- We want to legitimate this process by passing a law.
/life ex-pectan-cy/ [no ipa available]
Definition: The average period that a person may expect to live
- One in five adults is HIV positive and the average life expectancy at birth is just under 49 years. They are now of an age that exceeds the average life expectancy in the countries where they live.
Definition: The state or fact of something’s being likely; probability
- Young people who can see no likelihood of finding employment.
As an adjective, literate is used to describe being able to read and write. If you are reading this- you are literate. As a noun, literate is someone who is able to read and write. For example:
- Only half of the country was literate, which posed problems for development.
- Only literate applicants may apply.
/lito-graph/ [no ipa available]
A lithograph is a print made from lithography. What is lithography? It is a printmaking technique commonly used when a text is being printed. It can also be used to print onto a stone, or hard materials.
The artist was famous for her litographs.
Definition: A means of securing the necessities of life
- In the city people have relied on business to supply jobs to maintain their livelihoods.
Logical describes something that comes from clear reasoning. Using a fire extinguisher to put it out a fire is a logical step. Trying to put it out with gasoline is not. Used in a sentence, “I want to find the most logical way to get from the airport to my hotel.”
Example sentences using the word logical:
- Since she helped us before, it's logical to assume that she'll help us again.
- He seems to be a logical choice for the job.
- She wasn't able to give me a logical explanation for her behavior.
- His arguments seemed perfectly logical.
The distance of a place east or west of an imaginary line between the North Pole and the SouthPole, measured in degrees.
When some object gives off light, that light is called luminescence.
/lu-nar cy-cle/ [no ipa available]
A solar eclipse can only happen during a phase of the lunar cycle where the Moon lies between the Earth and the sun. If everything lines up just right, the sun is fully or partially covered by the Moon.
Definition: Be or remain hidden so as to wait in ambush for someone or something
- A grove of crotons became a magical jungle where snakes and other exotic creatures lurked, waiting to pounce.
Definition: The sliding down of a mass of earth or rock from a mountain or cliff.
- Flooding caused bridges to collapse and landslides are blocking roads to devastated coastal villages.
Definition: The active immature form of an insect
- The army worms are the larval stage of a common moth.
- Animals in the larval stage will consume food to fuel their transition into the adult form.
Definition: Of, at, toward, or from the side or sides
- For propagation, cut off the lateral rosettes with roots during March to April or September to October and plant in ordinary soil.
Definition: to cause something to begin
- The applicaion, which launched earlier this year, features a range of routines to build strength, increase flexibility, improve endurance and burn calories.
- The company is launching a team feature that aims to make its file hosting service a better tool for workplace collaboration.
Definition: Sufficient to cause death
- The gas acts like mustard gas, and can prove lethal to those with respiratory problems.
Definition: The length of time for which a person or animal lives or a thing functions:
- As humans lengthened lifespans with better nutrition and hunting skills, childhood also lengthened.
Definition: to be stretched; easily shaped
- The dancers are attractive, agile, limber and fully equipped for contemporary ballet’s technical demands.
/lithos-pher/ [no ipa available]
Definition: he rigid outer part of the earth, consisting of the crust and upper mantle.
- After new oceanic crust forms, the lithosphere cools and thickens as it moves away from the ocean ridge. An alternative to an active mantle thermal anomaly is greater stretching of the mantle lithosphere than the crust
/live up to/ [no ipa available]
The definition of “live up to” is to meet the expectations. The collocation 'live up to the expectation' is often used. Here are example sentences:
- The concert was brilliant - it lived up to all our expectations.
- He never managed to live up to his parents' expectations.
- The Niagara Falls lived up to all the publicity.
- Did the holiday live up to your expectations?
- The breathtakingly beautiful scenery certainly lived up to expectations.
If someone or something lives up to what they were expected to be, they are as good as they were expected to be. For example
- My dad will be upset if I don’t live up to the baseball player he used to be. (This means that if the boy isn’t a great baseball player, he won’t meet his father’s expectations of how he should live.)
- I feel it's impossible to live up to my mother.
Definition: Movement or the ability to move from one place to another
- In salamanders, both swimming and ambulatory locomotion involves lateral body bending.
- Prior to 540 million years ago, organisms may have had use eyes for light sensitivity, but not for fast locomotion and navigation by vision.
Definition: Long life
- She's seen many changes to society in her life, and thinks her longevity is due to her faith in God.
To luminesce is to shine or glow with light. Some types of jellyfish have the uncanny ability to luminesce underwater.
Things that glow in the dark like light bulbs, are luminescent. Other luminescent things include the stars in the night sky, glow worms, and certain glowing jellyfish and other sea creatures. When a living thing is luminescent, it's a phenomenon called bioluminescence.
/lu-nar eclipse/ [no ipa available]
There are two types of eclipse: solar eclipse and lunar eclipse. A solar eclipse happens when the Moon, on its journey around the Earth, happens to pass between the sun and the Earth for a moment. A solar eclipse can only happen during a phase of the lunar cycle where the Moon lies between the Earth