nFilter by Letter keyboard_arrow_down
To narrate is to tell a story or to say the words that are heard as part of (a movie, television show, etc.) Here are example sentences:
- The film is narrated by one of the Nine, Jefferson Thomas, who died in 2010.
- The author narrates her story in great detail.
Definition: limited in size or scope
- He says the meetings will help him narrow down recruits and present the most fitting candidates.
- The narrow window of time to diagnose and successfully treat a patient makes the treatment of meningococcal disease difficult.
If something necessitates an event, action, or situation, it makes it necessary.
- It is widely acknowledged that the primary objective of school education is to impart theoretical knowledge and not the acquisition of life skills. However, it does not necessitate schools offering car repair or bank account management lessons.
- New safety regulations necessitated adding a railing to the stairs.
Negligence is when one neglects to do things that should be done, and there are usually consequences.
- Medical negligence may be the cause of death. (This means the patient's death may have happened because the doctor did not do something that should have been done)
- The company was charged with negligence in the manufacturing of the defective tires.
- Negligence of one's children can lead to foster care
- Negligence while driving can cause fatal accidents
- Negligence of work can lead to the loss of a job.
- negligence of nutrition can cause health problems.
Definition: Relating to neoclassicism.
- Neoclassical architecture is an architectural style produced by the neoclassical movement that began in the mid-18th century.
Definition: Relating to a nerve or the nervous system:
- Measuring neural activity in language-sensitive brain regions of toddlers with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) may help identify those who go on to have poor language outcomes
Definition: Make (an acidic or alkaline substance) chemically neutral:
- Baking soda, a gentle alkaline powder, neutralizes odor-causing acids by restoring your skin's natural pH level.
Definition: The chemical element of atomic number 7, a colourless, odourless unreactive gas that forms about 78 per cent of the earth’s atmosphere
- The data demonstrate that nitrogen and phosphorus are in especially short supply.
A nomad is a member of a group of people who travel from place to place rather than living in one place all the time. Here are example sentences:
- At first, the Anasazi were hunter-gatherers and nomads. During the agricultural era, the Anasazi became sedentary tribes, employing a wide variety of means to grow high-yield crops in areas of low rainfall.
- Today, some nomads travel by motor vehicle and they live in tents or other portable shelters.
Definition: very small; in form, but not in substance
- Electric vehicle drivers will be able to charge their cars without cost for a two-year trial period; then there will be a nominal fee.
- One rule of thumb—that nominal growth in gross domestic product is a decent guide to the 10-year bond yield—has broken down.
Definition: worthy of notice
- The last and more noteworthy finding was that students’ first impressions of their classmates tended to align with their classmates’ own self-assessments.
Definition: an idea; belief; or opinion
- Others say this advice, which stems from the notion that eating saturated fat promotes heart disease, is not supported by scientific evidence.
Definition: A subtle difference in or shade of meaning, expression, or sound:
- It's not a point of view I've ever heard before, and I may not entirely have got the subtler nuances of it.
The nucleus of an atom or cell is the central part of it.
Narration is the act of telling a story, usually in a chronological order. Narration is the voice of whoever is telling, or writing a story. For example:
- The movie’s narration was done by a famous actor.
- Some distinguishable features of regionalist writing include informal language of narration and description of minute details of nature.
Definition: (Of a plant or animal) of indigenous origin or growth:
- The species is native to South Africa, but is now widespread in south-western Australia, being especially abundant on roadsides and wasteland.
- Spanish colonies were run under the system called encomienda, by which the Spanish crown granted colonists the right to demand tribute in gold of labor from native inhabitants.
- She's a native Californian.
A nectar is a sweet liquid secretion that is attractive to pollinators.
Most flowers produce nectar just to attract pollinators.
When something is meaningless or insignificant because it is so little, it's negligible. If you work really hard on something, but the praise you get for it is negligible, you won't try so hard next time.
Besides meaning very small, negligible can mean unimportant or not worth paying attention to. Used in a sentence, “The teacher was frustrated because her students thought she was negligible.
- A negligible amount of damage was done to the vehicle.
- The price difference was negligible.
- Health professionals widely concur that, beyond a certain amount of exercise each day, the benefits that an individual can expect to derive from further exercise is negligible.
- An ectotherm is an organism in which internal physiological sources of heat are of relatively small or quite negligible importance in controlling body temperature.
- Senior managers are convinced that the strike will have a negligible impact.
- Uranium is distributed in rocks and soils in many regions of the world usually in negligible amounts.
/neo-clas-si-cism/ [no ipa available]
Definition: Neoclassicism is a revival of the styles and spirit of classic antiquity inspired directly from the classical period.
- Neoclassicism is a revival of the styles and spirit of classic antiquity inspired directly from the classical period, which coincided and reflected the developments in philosophy and other areas of the Age of Enlightenment, and was initially a reaction against the excesses of the preceding Rococo style.
Definition: The condition of being chemically or electrically neutral
- A sodium ion was introduced into the system to reach overall electrical neutrality.
A neutron is an atomic particle that has no electrical charg
Definition: active at night
- Most owls are nocturnal.
A synonym for nomadic is migratory. Nomadic means anything moving around a lot. Certain times of birds are nomadic, because they move around several times a year depending on the weather. Nomadic people are ones that don’t stay in one place for too long. Used as an example,
The tribe was nomadic and migrated in a similar way the birds to warmer places for the winter.
Definition: Having no meaning; making no sense
- It was a nonsensical argument and one got the impression that Kerr did not believe it himself.
Something that is noticeable is apparent or easy to be noticed.
Example sentences using the word noticeable:
- The spot on your shirt is very noticeable.
- There has been a noticeable improvement in her behavior.
- It was noticeable that they were not prepared to give the presentation.
/nou-veau-rich/ [no ipa available]
Someone who is nouveau-rich is someone who has just recently become wealthy and enjoys spending money. They may be someone who sold their business, or recently inherited a lot of money, but they aren’t frugal with it.
Our nouveau-rich neighbor just bought six new cars, even though his garage can only fit two.
Definition: Denoting, relating to, or powered by the energy released in nuclear fission or fusion
- To generate electricity, we use hydroelectric power, coal and nuclear energy.